Outstanding Student Leaders Honored
Baylor honored six of its outstanding student leaders with awards that are the highest the school bestows at the annual Awards Day on May 20. Recipients are selected by a vote of the faculty.
- The JOHN ROY BAYLOR AWARD is presented to a senior who has contributed richly to the school both as a citizen and scholar. Named for Baylor's visionary founder and first headmaster, the John Roy Baylor Award for 2019 was presented to Olivia Bettis. Bettis will attend the University of North Carolina.
- Alex Robinson is the winner of this year's ALEXANDER GUERRY AWARD. Named for Baylor's second headmaster, the award is presented to a senior who has contributed richly to the position of honor and right at Baylor. Robinson will attend Sewanee: The University of the South.
- The HERBERT B. BARKS, SR., AWARD is presented to boarding students who have contributed richly to the spirit and quality of life of the residential program. This honor is named for Baylor's third headmaster. The honorees were Kym Ardrey and Nicholas Daniels. Ardrey is from Charlotte, N.C., boarded in Lowrance Hall, and will attend Lindenwood University. Daniels is from Conyers, Ga., boarded in Lupton Hall, and will attend the Pratt Institute.
- Named for Baylor's fifth headmaster, the HERBERT B. BARKS, JR., AWARD is presented to seniors who have contributed richly to the Baylor spirit. This year's honorees were Elizabeth Hayslett and Kristopher Kennedy. Hayslett will attend the University of St. Andrews and Kennedy will attend Sewanee: The University of the South.
Upper School Students Saluted by Peers
- The O.B. ANDREWS AWARDS, presented each year to the male and female students judged as the best all-around seniors by the vote of the Upper School student body, were given to Bailey Priddy and Alex Robinson. Priddy will attend the University of Texas and Robinson will attend Furman University.
- The JUMONVILLE AWARDS are given to the best all-around male and female juniors as determined by a vote of Upper School students. They were presented to Connor Duffy and Anika Iqbal.
- The SUMNER SMITH AWARD, named in memory of Sumner Smith '17, goes to one or more juniors who live out Baylor's mission of making a positive difference in the world by emulating Sumner's kindness, sensitivity, positivity, perseverance, and humor. The award was presented to Caroline Barker.
Four Win Special Awards
- THE HUBERT J. STAGMAIER AWARD is given to an outstanding all-around senior or seniors. This year's honorees were Dillan Desai and Jonyca Jiao. Desai will attend the University of South Carolina and Jiao will attend Northwestern University.
- The SERVICE TO SCHOOL AWARD is presented to seniors who have contributed richly to the school. This year, the award was given to Nick Perlaky. He will attend the University of Alabama in Huntsville.
- The MICHELLE KADRIE AWARD is given to a senior who combines a strong desire to do their personal best in school activities with a caring attitude toward others. This year's recipient was Izzy Boyd. Boyd will attend the University of Alabama.
Valedictorian and Salutatorian Named
- Jeremy Brien was named valedictorian for Baylor's class of 2019. A member of the Cum Laude Society and the National Honor Society, Brien will attend Purdue University.
- Ryker von Klar was named salutatorian. A National Merit Finalist and member of the Cum Laude Society and the National Honor Society, he will attend the University of Alabama.
Two-Dimensional Art Award
Three-Dimensional Art Award
Vocal Music Award
Outstanding Athlete Award (by vote of senior varsity letter winners)
Best All-Around Athlete Award (by coaches' vote)
Sydney Anne Sutherland
Ryker von Klar
Computer Science Award
Ryker von Klar
COMMUNITY SERVICE AWARD