With the countdown to the start of the 2019-20 school year underway, Baylor welcomed 27 new ninth grade students from the Chattanooga area to campus July 22-26 for the annual Jump Start orientation session.
Led by English instructor Amy Cohen, the program included classes, field trips, special speakers, campus tours and various activities designed to help students gain a familiarity with Baylor before classes begin on August 21. The week concluded with an overnight experience in Baylor’s Riverfront and Harrison Hall dorms that featured games and contests, dinner, and writing letters to boarding classmates. Parents were invited to attend lunch on the final day.
"It is exciting to see the changes that occur between that early Monday morning, when parents and new freshmen gather at Baylor for the first time, and the final Friday afternoon of the Jump Start program," said Cohen. "They enter feeling nervous, and depart with confidence and laughing with their new friends. The sense of community that these students develop together is priceless, and this is exactly what we want at Baylor: for each student to feel a part of something bigger and very special."
Upcoming Orientation Events
Middle School Families, Monday, August 19, 1 – 4 p.m.
Middle School Orientation is required for new Middle School parents and students. Parents will meet in Alumni Chapel, students will meet in the Field House.
New Boarding Families, August 18-19
Sunday, August 18
• Check-in begins at 9 a.m.
• Opening remarks and brunch begin at 9:30 a.m.
• Individual dorm meetings and move-in
• Traditional Signing-In Ceremony
• Parent reception at Scott Wilson’s home for all new boarding parents at 7 p.m.
Monday, August 19
• Breakfast for all new boarding students and parents: 9 a.m. – 9:30 a.m., Guerry Dining Hall
• Registration for all new boarders 9:30 a.m. – noon (parents leave for home later that day)
Wednesday, August 21 - Classes Begin!