Baylor alumni gathered at Common House in downtown Chattanooga on Dec. 8, 2021 for a Holiday gathering and a tour of Common House, once a YMCA where the first Baylor swim team practiced and competed.
For a photo gallery of the entire event, click here.
Along with celebrating the holidays in the renovated building, Jim Frierson '67 gave a presentation on the history of the facility and its connection to Baylor swimming. Several alums of the Baylor swimming program were also given a tour and history of the YMCA swimming pool, now a workout gym, where the Baylor swim team began its storied history. Led by Stan Lewis, the swimming program was resumed in 1957 and became a permanent, and now a very prominent, part of Baylor's proud athletic program. Without an indoor pool on campus, the team practiced and competed at the YMCA on Mitchell Ave., which was recently reclaimed as Common House.