Pro baseball player Cooper Kinney '21 has procured a $10,000 grant for Southside Youth Development through the Gatorade Play it Forward program.
One of the most respected sports teams in the state, Baylor baseball is perennially competitive and won Division II state championships in 2003 and 2006 under legendary coach Gene Etter, who skippered the Raiders for over 40 years. The Raiders returned to the state throne in 2018, 2019, and 2021.
The Gene and Eddie Etter Baseball Complex and Wyatt McMahan Field provides a wonderful riverside venue for Baylor’s varsity baseball games. The complex was renovated in 2016 and renamed in honor of Coach Gene Etter and his wife, Eddie, who were constants in five decades of Baylor baseball. Two other baseball diamonds are also available on campus for Baylor games and practices.
Fast Facts on Baylor Baseball
- From 2015-2020, 15 Baylor baseball players committed to play at the collegiate level including six in the SEC and four in the ACC.
- From 2015-2020, five Baylor baseball players have participated in USA Baseball's National Team Development Program. Three of those players were chosen for the National Team.
- Cooper Kinney '21 was named TBCA's Mr. Baseball in 2021.
- Baylor players Teddy Lepcio and Colin Ahearn were named Div-IIAA Player of the Year by the Tennessee Baseball Coaches Association in 2018 and 2019. Baylor co-coaches Greg Elie and Mike Kinney were named TBCA Coach of the Year in 2018 and 2019.
- Baylor was nationally ranked in 2019 and 2020 season, as high as ninth, by MaxPreps.
- Baylor was invited to play in the prestigious USA Baseball National High School Invitational in 2019 and 2020.
- Baylor teams use leading edge technology in training, including Rapsodo, Blast, Driveline, and Fungoman.
Baylor fields baseball teams at the varsity, junior varsity, and Middle School levels.
Cooper Kinney '21 and Syd Berzon '22 have been named Gatorade Players of the Year for Tennessee in baseball and softball.
Baylor senior Cooper Kinney received the Mr. Baseball Award, presented by the Tennessee Baseball Coaches Association, at the organization's banquet Tuesday, May 25.
The Baylor baseball team honored Baylor coach Bill McMahan, asking him to throw the first pitch before the game vs. McCallie on Wednesday, April 28. McMahan has announced his retirement effective at the end of the school year, his 47th on the Baylor faculty.
Baylor seniors Danny Corona and Cooper Kinney have been named to the Pre-Season High School All-America Team by Collegiate Baseball Newspaper. The team was named in the February 2 issue of the publication
Baylor junior Danny Corona has been identified by USA Baseball as one of the top 80 high school juniors in the United States.
The Tennessee Baseball Coaches Association recognized a trio from Baylor School at their Annual Awards Luncheon in Franklin.