Baylor Golf Facilities
Baylor teams play on two of the finest golf courses in the state and have their own state of the art practice facilities.
Short-Game Practice Center at Baylor School
To enhance the performance of the school’s golf teams and provide a site for instructional golf, a $300,000 short-game practice center was opened on the Baylor campus in 2003. The practice area features seven stations for hitting shots from inside 145 yards; a 4,000 square-foot chipping green; and a 4,200 square-foot putting green.
Designed and installed by Tour Greens of Georgia, the main hitting stations are synthetic turf grasses, and the grass between practice areas is Bermuda. The short-game center has four practice bunkers and lighting to facilitate putting practice at night!
The putting green overlooks Baylor Lake and sits astride the Golf Gazebo where displays house golf memorabilia and highlight the accomplishments of Baylor golfers.
The short game center is dedicated to three of “golf’s greatest” not only in Baylor golf, but also in terms of golf in America. Those individuals are the late Lew Oehmig, class of 1935; John T. Lupton, class of 1944; and Betty Probasco who is married to Scott L. Probasco, Jr., class of 1946. Over the years, the three competed from the local to the national level and won numerous United States Golf Association championships.
Black Creek Golf Club
The home course for Baylor Golf is the Black Creek Golf Club. Designed by nationally recognized architect, Brian Silva, this “neo-classical” course is patterned after the architecture of C. B. MacDonald and Seth Raynor. Since opening in 2000, Black Creek has hosted three PGA Nationwide Tour events and was the second qualifying course for the 2005 USGA Mid Amateur.
Within a year of its opening, Black Creek was named to Golfweek’s “Top 100 Modern Courses,” and the course is now ranked in the “Top 25 Golf Developments in the USA” by Golfweek.
A Black Creek “student membership” program is available to Baylor’s boarding students in the off-season that entitles students to full membership privileges. The “student membership” is $185.00 per month.
Additional information about this nationally acclaimed course is available here .
The Honors Course
John T. Lupton, Baylor class of 1944, is the founder of The Honors Course established in 1983. Located just north of Chattanooga, The Honors is a magnificent sanctuary built to honor amateur golf. During the past 20 years, many of the world’s finest amateurs as well as professionals have walked the course’s fairways.Situated just north of Chattanooga, The Honors spans 460 acres of land and is recognized by the Audubon Society as being a wildlife habitat preservation site.
Frequently, Baylor’s golf teams have matches at The Honors with archrivals McCallie School and Girls Preparatory School teams. Baylor golfers are most fortunate to find themselves playing on this course as team members or as individuals.
The Honors Course will host The Preview Tournament for Tennessee High School Golf in August 2006 where the best teams from across the state will compete in a 36-hole medal play competition. The Tennessee Golf Foundation, Baylor School, and The Honors Course are the sponsors of The Preview event.
Additional information is available here.
Moccasin Bend Golf Course
Located just minutes from the Baylor campus, the Moccasin Bend Golf Course is the home course for Baylor’s junior varsity and lower school golf teams. The 18-hole bent grass course was built in 1966 but remains a good public course that’s very convenient for Baylor golfers.
The layout is primarily flat which makes walking a pleasure. Moccasin Bend Golf Course has a driving range, practice putting green, practice chipping area, and a snack bar in the clubhouse.
Baylor golfers “who rise through the ranks” have many great memories of “grinding it out” at Moccasin Bend with their friends! Many junior varsity and lower school team matches are also played at this course.
Additional information is available here