Baylor athletes won six of the 21 awards bestowed by the Chattanooga Times Free Press at the newspaper's annual Best of Preps Awards banquet Wednesday, June 8.
With 40 state championships (20 for girls, 20 for boys), Baylor has built a true dynasty in high school golf in Tennessee. The Baylor girls once owned a streak of 16 straight state titles (a state record) and boasts the only four-time individual state champ, while the Baylor boys won four straight team titles twice and three-in-a-row once. Five Baylor grads are currently playing on PGA or LPGA tours.
- The Baylor girls’ teams have now won a record 20 state championships (1995-2010, 2012, 2013, 2020, 2021), including a record 16 consecutive titles, the longest winning streak in any sport in TSSAA history. In addition, Baylor boasts the state's only four-time champion in Brooke Pancake '08 (2007, 2006, 2005, 2004), three-time winner May Wood '02 (2000, 1999, 1998), two-time champs Beth Felts '04 (2003, 2001) and Blakesly Warren '14(2012, 2013), and state champions Paula Liano '23 (2021), Sofia Hoglund '10 (2008) and Elizabeth Hallman '98 (1997). Warren was state runner-up in 2011, Kaleigh Toole was runner-up in 2009, Morgan McQuary was second twice (2008, 2006), Catherine Hicks was runner-up in 2001, and Kate May was second in 2000.
- The Baylor boys’ teams have won a record 20state championships ('88, '89, '93, '94, '95, '96, '99, '00, '01, '03, '05, '06, '07, '08, '12, '15, '18, '20, '21) with six golfers winning seven individual state titles - Sheldon McKnight '22 (2020), Blake Maum '13 (2012), Harris English '07 (2005), Seth Brandon '05 (2003), Luke List '03 (2002, 2001), and Richard Spangler '96 (1995). Ryan Thornton was state runner-up in 2008, Keith Mitchell and Jay Vandeventer shared the runner-up trophy in 2007, English finished second in 2006, and Brandon was runner-up in 2004.
- Baylor has five alums playing on PGA Tours.
- Harris English '07 joined the Tour in 2012 and has two PGA Tour victories - the 2013 FedEx St. Jude Classic and the 2014 OHL Classic.
- Luke List '03 joined in 2013 and has posted two wins on the Korn Ferry Tour and was runner-up at the PGA Tour's Honda Classic in 2018.
- Keith Mitchell '10 joined the Tour in 2018 and won the 2018 Honda Classic.
- Stephan Jaeger '08 shot the PGA's first ever round of 58 in a Web.com Tour event.
- Brooke Pancake '08 is a player on the LPGA Tour since 2012. She led the University of Alabama to an NCAA championship.
- Individual Baylor golfers have been named AJGA All-Americans, NCAA All-Americans for academics as well as golf, and competed in numerous USGA, PGA and LPGA events.
- Baylor varsity teams participate in matches sanctioned by the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association (TSSAA) and competitions are held from mid-August through mid-October each year. Local, regional and state matches are scheduled along with annual competitions with teams outside of Tennessee. During “golf season” at Baylor, a varsity boys’ team is comprised of at least five players in each match while a girls’ team is usually comprised of three players for a match. Varsity golf at Baylor is similar to a collegiate setting as more than five boys and three girls are selected for the varsity teams each year, but the numbers of players in each match are limited. A series of qualifying rounds, academic performance, individual tournament records, and personal commitment determines who plays in matches. The level of competition for positions on the varsity golf teams at Baylor rivals many collegiate golf programs.
- During the “off season” at Baylor, golfers are given opportunities to pursue strength training, the development of their individual golf games, and community service activities in addition to their academic programs. Most varsity golfers elect to play in many local, regional, and state tournaments on a year-around basis – except during “golf season” at Baylor. When there’s a junior golf tournament in the southeastern part of the United States, there’s most always at least one Baylor golfer in the field and often many more.
Baylor golfers practice and play on the finest courses in the Southeast and use Black Creek Golf Club as their home course. A short game center is also located on our campus. Baylor teams include varsity and junior varsity, as well as a Middle School team for boys and girls in grades 6-8.
PGA Tour professional Luke List '03 won his first PGA tournament Sat., Jan. 29, joining a growing list of Baylor grads who have PGA Tour victories.
The Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association has recognized the distinguished service of Baylor head golf coach Gary Partrick.
Baylor grad and PGA Tour professional Harris English '07 wasted no time winning his first tournament in 2021, taking a playoff win over Joaquin Niemann at the Sentry Tournament of Champions, the season's first event.
Baylor alum and PGA Tour golfer Harris English '07 teamed up with Matt Kuchar, who appears to be the perfect teammate, to win a third QBE Shootout on December 12.
Baylor graduate and PGA Tour professional Harris English '07 returned to the national golf spotlight with a second place finish at the Northern Trust championship on Aug. 23.
Professional golfer Stephan Jaeger '08 won the 2020 Albertsons Boise Open, the fifth tour win for the former Baylor boarding student from Germany.
Baylor grad Keith Mitchell '10 earned his first victory on the PGA Tour Sunday, making a birdie on the 18th hole to win the Honda Classic at PGA National in Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.
Ten high school golfers were selected for the TSSAA Division II-AA All-State teams, and four of them are from Baylor.
Baylor alum Keith Mitchell '10 is among the five nominees for the PGA Tour's Rookie of the Year award.