Our Middle School
Active Learning and Individualized Instruction
Students this age are not passive learners – they need to learn by doing rather than by just being told. That's why science is based on experiments, art is based on production, and English and history / social science are based on discussion. Math and languages are taught the same way and success isn't just about manipulating numbers or doing grammar exercises, it's about being able to apply concepts to real life situations.
The Middle School program is also designed to offer a wide variety of academic, leadership, athletic and enrichment offerings, ensuring that each child succeeds and thrives in personal areas of strength. Small classes allow teachers to challenge children to reinforce areas that need improvement, while encouraging children to pursue their strengths.
Leadership OpportunitiesIn addition to learning about leadership, it is essential that students experience and practice leadership. The Middle School is committed to providing our students with an ever widening array of opportunities to "learn by doing." Depending upon the grade level, some of these opportunities include:
- Middle School Advisory Council
- "Baylor Ambassador" leadership positions
- Athletic team captains
- Community service leaders
- Middle School play cast & crew
- Class trip group leaders
- As the main point of entry to Baylor School, the sixth grade typically attracts students from 25 – 30 area schools. Therefore, a great deal of thought and attention is dedicated to transitioning them into the community through class trips, adviser groups, athletic teams and enrichment activities.
- The program also provides opportunities for parents and families to come together. Fall football tailgates, book clubs, art shows, and concerts serve as venues to strengthen the connections among Baylor parents and families.
Jenn Lindsay, Middle School Head
Our Middle School Head Jenn Lindsay works with a dedicated group of 30 Middle School faculty members to create a safe, supportive, and nurturing learning environment for children.
Our Middle School grade-level deans. Left to right are Austin Williams, Matt Matoh, and Mae Weiss.
Eighth Grade Dean of Students
423-267-8506 ext. 461
Seventh Grade Dean of Students
423-267-8506 ext. 548
Sixth Grade Dean of Students
423-267-8506 ext. 450