Families often ask what type of computer we recommend in addition to the
iPad for students. Computer labs are available for student use during
the day and throughout study hours, but most students find it to be a
great advantage to have a computer available to them in their dorm room.
Every dorm is wireless and is connected to the Internet. Laptop or
desktop? The choice depends entirely on the student's preference.
Our minimum requirements are:
- Wireless capabilities
any make and version of OS is acceptable (Windows, OS X, etc.) – in
order for tech support to help with dorm computers they must have
English installed as a language option
- any computer manufacturer is acceptable (Apple, Dell, etc.)
- Electrical surge protector with a fuse to handle mutiple plugs.
Here's an additional list of things students typically love beyond what is required:
- At least a 17" monitor flat panel (if laptop, spring for a nice display!)
- As much memory (RAM) as you can, typically this is at least 1 GB
- External speakers
- CD and/or DVD burner
- USB drives
- a personal printer – this should NOT be wireless
Installation and Virus Protection
All boarders must have current and up-to-date antivirus installed to join the wireless.